Top 3 Special Needs Churches
If you live in Texas, you’ve probably heard it’s known as the “bible belt” which simply means there is a church on every corner. Unfortunately, many of these churches do not have a program in place for special needs. We have been able to find three special needs churches in DFW that we hope can become a home for you and your family
1.) Stonebriar Community Church
Stonebriar Community Church has an incredible reputation for its special needs ministry. From their website, their objectives are:
- Nurture students desire for a Savior and develop their faith.
- Teach students that they are created in the image of God.
- Help students recognized that they were designed with a purpose.
- Guide students along the winding road to independence.
- Prepare students for a fulfilling future.
On Sunday morning, they have 9 am and 10:45 am classes for special needs. You can see a description of their classes here https://www.stonebriar.org/specialneeds/. They also have quite a few GIFT programs for special needs such as art classes, exercise classes, and retreats for special needs.
Prestonwood calls their special needs ministry “Special Friend” that takes a focus on the entire family’s spiritual growth. Like us, they view special needs as a different ability rather than a disability. They have both a Plano and Prosper campus that support special needs individuals. Through their KIDZ ministry, their objectives are to:
- Develop children as Christ-followers and teach them to share their faith
- Develop children as worshippers
- Develop children as prayer warriors
- Teach children to make wise choices according to Scripture
- Support families with fun, creative ways to enhance each child’s spiritual journey
You can find more about their KIDZ ministry at http://prestonwood.org/connect/kidz. They also have Respite, where they provide fun activities for children with special needs and their siblings while their parents get a much-needed break. Lastly, they have a program called AWANA on Wednesday nights at 6:30pm. From their website, their AWANA program offers five different Bible Club experiences for the age levels below. Each club uses a variety of age-appropriate activities that help preschoolers and kids:
- Memorize Scripture
- Experience quality Bible teaching from master storytellers during Council Times
- Participate in high-energy, fast-paced game-time experiences in KidZone and Loft 456
- Develop an awareness of mission projects locally and overseas that encourage participation and giving
- Learn how to share their faith in Christ as Savior
- Develop important relationships with friends and caring adults
GET RESOURCES FOR SPECIAL NEEDS
3.) Gateway Church
Gateway Church had to be on our list of top 3 special needs churches in DFW because of their heart for people. Gateway’s slogan is “we are all about people.” With five campuses in DFW and growing, you’ll be able to find a campus close to you that has special needs support. Gateway has a program called SPECIAL BLESSINGS, which is a Sunday morning setting for special needs children (ages 4 – 8th grade).
- Provides a sensory-friendly classroom experience
- Is for those who may not flourish as well in our mainstream multi-sensory, large-group environment
- Offers a specialized program with hands-on experiences
- Provides extra volunteer attention to meet each child’s needs
Special Blessings is offered Sundays during the 9:30 am service and the 11 am service
You can find more information at https://www.gateway-community.org/connect/gateway-kids/
No matter what religion you are, the special needs churches we’ve listed have resources for you and want to serve your family. Our company has clients that are from all three of the special needs churches that we’ve listed and have only positive experiences to report. If you have any questions about making a decision on which church to go to, we encourage you to pray about it and visit the church at least three times before making a commitment. If you are not close to any of these three churches, contact us and we will do our best to locate a church close to you.
Special Strong provides fitness and nutrition for special needs children, adolescents, and adults with autism and other disabilities. Through our online training platform, we also provide special needs fitness certification courses for personal trainers and service providers who want to work autism and other disabilities.