Top 5 Foods For Brain Conditions
Are there healthy foods for brain conditions that can also help you improve brain function, alertness, memory, and concentration? Yes, there are, start by adding these healthy foods and food groups to your diet:
- Fish, flax seeds and avocados. These foods are high in natural omega-3 fatty acids shown to improve your concentration and improve your brain’s ability to think and process. Omega-3 fatty acids also possess anti-inflammatory properties and help reduce tissue and brain swelling
- Lean meats, whole grains, eggs, and pistachios. These foods plus wheat germ, oranges, sunflower seeds, and green leafy vegetables are high in B vitamins, B6, and B12 and folic acid which have been shown to improve memory and prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Adding B vitamin-rich foods while decreasing processed flours and sugars can reduce or eliminate the occurrence of brain fog.
- Ripe bananas. Bananas are a rich and natural source of dopamine, the brain chemical known to increase concentration. Bananas are also an excellent portable healthy and filling snack, but don’t overdo it as bananas also contain about 100-150 calories each and a healthy dose of tryptophan, the amino acid that puts you to sleep after Thanksgiving dinner.
- Blueberries and tomatoes. Fruits, berries, and tomatoes are high in antioxidants. Antioxidants “eat” free-radicals and protect your body and your brain from oxidation, increase blood flow to the brain, and also have anti-inflammatory properties that help increase brain function. Blueberries improve learning and fine motor skills and help delay memory decline.
- Dark chocolate. Dark chocolates (70% or higher cacao) are high in flavonoids and catechins, antioxidants that scavenge the free radicals and improve brain function, reduce swelling and may also reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. Chocolate is associated with positive effects on mood, especially depression, possibly due to the similarity to the actions of dopamine and opioid in the brain.
Adding a variety of these foods for brain conditions combined with exercise, adequate and restful sleep, and daily stress management will improve mental alertness, concentration, and memory.
Special Strong provides fitness and nutrition for special needs children, adolescents, and adults with autism and other disabilities. Through our online training platform, we also provide special needs fitness certification courses for personal trainers and service providers who want to work autism and other disabilities.